Thursday, March 29, 2007

Who are you again?

So like I've said before, one of the things I've started doing since I moved to Florida is run around the 3 mile track around my neighborhood. It's a great way to stay in shape among other things. I generally like to go at night because it's cooler out and there are less people out there. I've never been much of a people person. I mean, I'm friendly once I get to know you but I'm not the kind of person that goes around smiling at people I don't know, so whenever I'm out running or walking I don't really make eye contact with anyone. I think part of the reason I am that way is because I grew up in Brooklyn where people are more standoffish because no one trusts anyone; anyone can be a threat. Not that I feel threatened here but I just don't really want to see anyone when I'm out running. Anyway, this morning I was out on the track (I decided to go early because I was up and felt like I needed to burn off some calories) and I ran into some girl that apparently knew me. She went out of her way to wave at me to get my attention (I was listening to my ipod and again, wasn't making eye contact with anyone) and said hi like she was happy to see me. I had no idea who she was but I just went along with it and said "hi, how are you?" as if I too was happy to see her. It's a good thing we were both running because otherwise that would have made things pretty awkward. I would've had to say something like "who are you again?" and that would not have been a good thing. I'm still wondering who she was. Maybe she got me confused with someone else. I don't know but this just proves to me that I'd much rather go running late at night. This never would have happened in the darkness. ;)

No comments: