Sunday, February 22, 2009

I'd make a bad, bad parent

So as you know, I have a Shih-Tzu named Perry. I love him very much and don't know what I'd do without him. At this point he's pretty much all I have and he keeps me busy. There are days when I probably wouldn't get out of bed if it weren't for him.

Despite my love for him I haven't been giving him the attention he deserves. I've been so wrapped up in my pathetic life that I haven't really thought much about him. I walk him, feel him, play with him for a little while if he asks to play, but that's pretty much it. I realized that I've been ignoring him the other day when I was walking him and noticed that he went to the bathroom on the grass. Now, for most dogs this isn't a big deal. In fact that's what dogs do, they poop on grass, but not Perry. For the longest time he's avoided grass and if I picked him up and put him on it he'd run off. I always thought it was funny. Anyway, the other day I was walking him and looked down to realize that I was standing on grass and he was pooping on it. He actually had been doing so for days but I hadn't even thought about how for him this is a big deal. That was when I realized that I was being selfish by not paying much attention to him and just worrying about my own problems. My poor baby! This also made me realize that I'd probably make a lousy parent because everything would always be about me. Not like I want to be a parent or like anyone would want me to be their kid's mom. It was just a weird realization.

No comments: