Friday, February 27, 2009

Old songs, new meanings

I've always loved music and it's always been an important part of my life. Certain bands are especially dear to me because their music helped me get through difficult times in the past. When I was in high school I primarily listened to heavy metal because a lot of the songs have an angry sound to them and they matched my emotions at the time. Although metal was my favorite, I also listened to more mellow rock. I loved rock ballads even though I couldn't necessarily relate to the general topic, lost love (I never dated in high school. I know, pathetic). Anyway, years passed and my taste in music has changed slightly. I'm not saying that I no longer like the music I listened to back then, but my genre of music of choice now has evolved a bit. As a result, there are a lot of albums that I haven't listened to in years.

Earlier tonight, while driving to the grocery store, I pulled out an Aerosmith CD that I hadn't played in a while and I listened to track after track. Suddenly, this one track started playing that I remembered loving, not because I could relate to it at the time, but because it was just a good song. Tonight, however, it had a new meaning for me because tonight I could relate to what Steven Tyler was feeling when he wrote those lyrics. It made me love the song so much more and once again, music is there to help me get through a tough time.

No comments: